News and Updates
Get updated with what is happening related to UPLB's research and extension activities!
Click on the categories below to view the latest news, announcements and memoranda, or for a more personalized delivery, subscribe to us using our feed.
Sharing an announcement from the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) website:
We are pleased to announce that the 2016 MECO-TECO Call for Proposals is now open.
In pursuit of cooperation in Science and Technology between the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) and the Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST, formerly the National Science Council) of Taipei, the DOST is calling for mutually beneficial and collaborative project proposals for implementation on 01 June 2016. It is necessary that proponents coordinate with their counterpart/collaborator in Taipei with whom they will work with on the project. As a requirement, proposals must be submitted to DOST while their Taiwanese counterpart must submit the same proposal (with the same title for identification) to MOST for separate review and evaluation. Only projects approved by both sides will be implemented under this cooperation scheme. Project proposals to be submitted must fall under any of the following identified priority areas for cooperation:
- Genomics, Nanotechnology, and Biotechnology for Agriculture
- Water Resource Management
- Volcano, Ocean, Typhoon, and Earthquake
- Climate Change and Environment
- Omics for Personalized Medicine
- Use of Sensors towards Smart Cities (intelligent transport system, smart buildings, road condition monitoring and digital health for senior citizens)
Modes of cooperation include joint research/study, exchange of scientists/technical experts, capacity building, scientific and technical access to facilities, provision of professional services, organization of scientific conferences, symposia, training courses, workshops and exhibitions and the Sandwich Scholarship Program (SSP).
Attachments are also included below.
The Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs (OVPAA) in coordination with the Office of the Vice President for Administration (OVPA), the UP System Supply & Property Management Office (UPS SPMO), and the UP Diliman Supply & Property Management Office (UPD SPMO) will jointly hold a Procurement Seminar-Workshop on R & D.
The said Seminar-Workshop will focus on the following:
- Preparation of the Project Procurement Management Plan (PPMP) and the Annual Procurement Plan (APP);
- Development of Technical Specifications for equipment, services, and other items;
- Formulation of the Cost Estimate for the item to be procured;
- Generation of Price Quotations or canvass;
- Determination of the appropriate Mode of Procurement and their Requisites;
- Apprise project leaders on Outsource Procurement Agents such as the Philippine International Trading Corporation (PITC); and
- Provide information on recent circulars from DBM, GPPB, and COA relevant to R & D procurement.
The schedule for UPLB will be on 28 September 2015, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, NCAS Auditorium.
The memo from the Office of the UP President is also attached for reference. The schedule in the memo has been changed to the one mentioned above.
The search for the 2015 Dr. Eusebio Y. Garcia Recognition Award for Molecular Biology and Molecular Pathology by the National Research Council of the Philippines (NRCP).
Dr. Garcia was a world-renowned scientist. He had been a faculty member of the UP College of Medicine and Manila Central University, and was awarded the most outstanding professor of the University. He also became a guest scientist at the School of Tropical Medicine at the Tulane University of Louisiana, and research fellow of the Rockefeller Foundation Malaria Research Laboratory, Talahassee, Florida, USA.
The deadline of submission of nominations to the OVCRE is on 25 September 2015. Further details are attached.
01 September 2015
MEMORANDUM NO. 26
Series of 2015
TO: Deans and Directors
FROM: REX B. DEMAFELIS
Vice Chancellor for Research and Extension
SUBJECT: Contributions for the RDE Chronicle and RDE Digest
With the aim of promoting the university's research culture, the OVCRE Information Officers Network will launch the RDE Chronicle and the new RDE Digest this 2015. Both publications will be released twice a year: the RDE Chronicle on March and October, and the new RDE Digest on July and January.
The Chronicle will focus on university news related to research, development, and extension, while the new Digest will focus on timeless stories on the impact of UPLB research and extension initiatives.
For the upcoming issue of the RDE Chronicle, we are welcoming at least one of the following contributions from your unit:
- News article/s about RDE efforts of your unit from June to September (strategic planning, conference, important visitors, etc.)
- Literary contributions (poems, short story, anecdote, etc.)
For the new RDE Digest, a feature story or article which fall under any of these categories may be submitted:
- Analytical Perspective
- Research Updates
- Technology and Innovations
- Popularized Publications (popularized version of a journal article)
- Personality Profile
- Success Story (stories of adapters of our technologies)
- Stories from the field (stories and anecdotes of experiences during field work)
- Review of any masterpiece of any UPLB faculty/staff
We will welcome contributions to the new RDE Digest on or before 06 November 2015.
For questions or inquries, you may contact the Editorial Team at (049) 536-2354.
Thank you very much for your usual support and cooperation.