Sharing this announcement from the UPLB Graduate School.
Call for Papers
Internationalization of Graduate Education for Agricultural and Rural Development (IGEARD) International Conference
22-23 November 2016. Manila, Philippines
Organized by the Graduate School, University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB)
Theme: Internationalization of Graduate Education towards Inclusive and Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Development
The internationalization of graduate education has caused impact on higher education institutions to rethink new approaches, policies and initiatives in their offering graduate programs especially those that gear towards agricultural and rural development. This is evident on how they recruit students, provide opportunities for faculty and student exchange programs, hire international faculty members and establish academic collaboration and cooperation in research and development with universities and research institutions abroad. Academic programs undergo revisions to be innovative, highlight interdisciplinary collaboration and contribute to inclusive and sustainable agricultural and rural development.
However, while internationalization of graduate education has benefits, there are costs that might result including brain drain of agriculture human resources and the inequitable access and unequal opportunities in the agricultural sector. Indeed, the impact of internationalization of graduate education on the development of agriculture and rural sector is a major issue that merits discussion.
The Internationalization of Graduate Education for Agricultural and Rural Development (IGEARD)
International Conference aims to gather scholars and practitioners to examine the underlying incentives, institutions, innovations and practices that promote or impede the internationalization of graduate education as it harness agriculture and rural development. Organized by the Graduate School, University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB), the conference endeavors to shed light on and draw insights from initiatives and strategies that higher education institutions and education systems have pursued in internationalizing graduate education in agriculture and related disciplines, namely, the food and non-food value chains relating to agriculture, forestry, food and natural resources, with due regard to rural development and the environment.
Abstract of Papers and Proposed Session
The conference welcomes the submission of abstract of papers and proposals for sessions on the following topics:
- Internationalization of agriculture graduate curriculum
- International student and faculty mobility: trends, patterns, issues and challenges
- Issues and prospects of establishing interdisciplinary joint and dual/double degree programs; cross-border/transnational graduate programs in agriculture and related disciplines
- Enhancing interdisciplinary graduate programs for agricultural and rural development, natural resource management and climate change adaptation and risk reduction
- Graduate educational reforms and innovations in agriculture academic programs
- Agriculture graduate program quality assurance, access and equity issues
- Brain drain and migration of agriculture, science and technology human resources
- Sustainable development, ensuring food security and the challenge of agriculture human resource development
- Maximizing opportunities of university partnerships in science and technology, research and development
- Enriching graduate students’ experience and learning outcomes
- Enhancing lifelong learning and employability of agriculture graduates
- Agribusiness management and entrepreneurship and agriculture industry-university partnership
- Agricultural university leadership and governance issues and challenges
Deadline of Submission of Abstract of Papers: July 15, 2016
A notice of acceptance will be issued on August 15, 2016 to presenting authors. They will be notified of the conference fees, instructions, presentation guidelines and other details.
The full version of accepted papers is due on September 15, 2016. It will be included in the conference proceeding and will be considered for publication in an international peer-reviewed journal, subject to revisions, suggestions and comments of an editorial board.
The IGEARD International Conference Program
A welcome dinner and cultural night will be hosted on November 22, 2016. The opening program, plenary and parallel paper presentations will be held in the second day – November 23. Optional guided tours will be organized for local and international participants on November 24.