With support from the Commission on Higher Education, the Visayas State University (VSU) will hold the National Conference on Development Initiatives in the Philippine Marginal Uplands on 22 – 24 October 2013 at VSU, Baybay City, Leyte. The conference's theme is on "Enhancing farm productivity and environmental quality in Philippine marginal uplands: A scan of the past and a look into the future." Academics, researchers, representatives from national agencies and local government units, civil societies and non-government organizations are invited to participate in this conference. Read on for more information.
Topics of Interest
Papers on the following topics are welcome:
- Status of Philippine marginal uplands (biophysical characteristics, biodiversity, socioeconomic conditions, etc.)
- Initiatives and impacts of marginal uplands development (projects on marginal uplands development including agroforestry projects, watershed development or rehabilitation projects, water resources management, crop-livestock integration projects, farming systems, sustainable agriculture, other initiatives)
- By Government Line Agencies
- By Civil Societies and Organizations (NGOs/POs)
- By Local Government Units
- By Academic Institutions/Research Institutions
Program of Activities
The conference will feature plenary papers by experts and leaders in upland development, and concurrent sessions and workshops to identify gaps in upland development in the country and develop mechanisms for collaborative projects.
Submission of Abstracts
Those who wish to present a paper or a poster should submit a 250-300 word abstract of the paper. Include your name, position, institution and contact information (phone, mail, fax and e-mail). Abstracts must be written in English and sent to the Conference Secretariat by email as Word file. It should include the title (14 point, bold, all caps, Times New Roman), author/s (12 point, Arial, with the name of the presenting author underlined), addresses along with fax, e-mail (10 point, Arial) and the text (single spaced in 11 point, Times New Roman font). Notification of acceptance of the paper for oral and poster paper presentation will be sent by September 13, 2013.
The conference will produce a peer-reviewed publication from the papers presented. Presenters who wish to publish their papers will be asked to fill in a publication agreement during the conference.
- Participants other than students
- Early Bird (Those who will register on or before 23 September 2013) - PhP 3,500
- Late Registration - PhP 4,500
- Early Bird - PhP 1,000
- Late Registration - Php 1,500
Note: Registration fee will cover conference kit, meals, snacks, accommodation on 22 – 24 October 2013 and tour. Meals and accommodation before and after the conference proper will be shouldered by the participant. You may deposit your payment at any Metrobank branch:
Depository Branch: Metrobank – Baybay Branch
Account Name: ViFARD Inc.
Account No.: 356-3-356-00001-4
*Kindly indicate that the amount is for the PHERNet Conference Registration Fee.