27 September 2012
Memorandum No. OVPAA 2012-73
TO: Chancellors and OIC, UP Cebu, Vice Chancellors for Research and Development/Extension
FROM: GISELA P. CONCEPCION, Ph.D, Vice-President for Academic Affairs
SUBJECT: Call for Proposals to the Emerging Interdisciplinary Research (EIDR) Program for CY 2013 (Cycle 1)
This is to announce the call for Proposals for Cycle 1 (CY 2013) of the Emerging Interdisciplinary Research (EIDR) Program. The schedule of submission of proposals, the review, awarding & implementation, etc., for Cycle 2 is found in OVPAA-EIDR Form 3.6 (CY 2013).
As described in the general guidelines on EIDR, there are two types of funding:
- For interdisciplinary research programs: These should be led by program and project leaders with established track records, i.e., publications in the proposed areas of research. For each cycle, priority interdisciplinary research areas are identified. The maximum fund awarded for an EIDR program consisting of several projects is ~P10M/year. Inter-CU collaboration is strongly encouraged. These programs are expected to produce ISI-listed publications and other high quality academic output within the first year of the project, and every year thereafter.
- For all UP faculty & researchers who completed their PhD or a postdoctoral training within the last 1-1/2 years: You are encouraged to submit a proposal as a single proponent, or with another new PhD as co-proponent. The proposal must be directly related to the dissertation/postdoctoral research and expertise of the proponent(s), e.g., data from the dissertation/postdoctoral research will be completed, and the project will produce an ISI-listed publication within the first year of the project, and every year thereafter. The maximum fund awarded for this type of grant is ~P2M/year.
The priority areas for this cycle are:
- development of strategies to improve academic performance of units based on the Internal Academic Assessment System (iAADS) findings
- new general education courses, creativity-, innovation- and research-oriented advanced undergraduate courses or graduate courses, or new fast-track/accelerated undergraduate and graduate (PhD and MS) programs making use of new education paradigms, substance/content, pedagogy, evaluation and technology tools. (FOCUS ON ONE COURSE OR ONE PROGRAM.)
- new documentaries for public dissemination (national and international, government and the public sector) to promote the Filipino's national and cultural identity, sense of pride and love of country, featuring research/reliable information on Philippine culture, history, music, dance, art, architecture, science (geological, archeological, geneological and natural history, biodiversity), etc., making use of new mass communication paradigms, substance/content and technology multi-media tools. (FOCUS ON ONE DOCUMENTARY.)
- new hardware (instrument, equipment, preferably with software and accessory parts/materials) for clinical, biomedical, research, agribusiness, food processing, engineering, computational, business processing and other industrial applications, based on innovative modeling/rational design, or reverse-engineered/improved from an imported product. (FOCUS ON ONE INSTRUMENT).
- new high-value nontraditional/unconventional products from agriculture, livestock, forestry, aquaculture, fisheries, marine resources, biodiversity hotspots, microbiological and geological resources and other indigenous materials for food, fabric/clothing, construction and industrial materials, energy, tourism, medical and agricultural applications* (FOCUS ON ONE PRODUCT.)
- new preventive and diagnostic products and services for infectious diseases and cancers; child malnutrition; and environmental, food-chain and industry/work-related hazards and pollution* (FOCUS ON ONE PRODUCT OR SERVICE.)
*Genetic and genomic components of proposals submitted under priorities 4 and 5 should be submitted to the Philippine Genome Center for endorsement to the DOST and other external funding agencies for funding.
ALL CAPSULE CONCEPT PROPOSALS SHOULD INCLUDE A DEVELOPMENT PLAN (FROM R&D TO PILOTING, TESTING, VALIDATION AND BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT) THAT CAN BE ACCOMPLISHED IN 4 YEARS.