The University of the Philippines Society of Research, Extension and Professional Staff, Inc. (UP REPSS) held their 2ndAnnual Scientific Conference and 6th General Assembly Meeting last 26-27 March 2015 at the Tagaytay International Convention Center. The theme was “Promoting Interdisciplinary Partnership Towards National Development.”
The participants gathered to listen to 12 poster presentations and paper presentations.
The poster presentations were as follows:
- Effectivity of Philippine Actinomycetes Against Human and Plant Pathogens by Teofila O. Zulaybar, Irene A. Papa, Vida Faith Galvez and Juliet Anarna
- Antibacterial Activity of Actinomycetes Isolated from Mangroves and Agricultural Lands in Selected Areas in the Philippines by Irene A. Papa and Teofila O. Zulaybar
- Stability and Efficacy of Lactobacillus plantarum (BS) as Starter Culture in Freeze –and Spray –dried Forms by Marilou R. Calapardo, Frances Lara Lleva, Jennifer Q. Pillas, Margarita A. Mercado, Susana M. Mercado, Erlinda I. Dizon, and Francisco B. Elegado
- Transforming Communities through the Barangay Integrated Development Approach for Nutrition Improvement (BIDANI) Network Program by Lorna O. Garcia, Charina P. Maneja, Ana B. Castañeda, Pamela A. Gonzales, Belinda A. Lalap, Marcelina C. Miranda, and Arnold T. Abuyog (won Best Poster Presentation)
- Cost and Return Analysis for Corn Production-Postproduction Systems in Selected Regions of the Philippines by Maria Victoria O. Larona, Rossana Marie C. Amongo, Victor A. Rodulfo, Jr., Alexis C. Del Rosario, Jose D. De Ramos, Angeli Grace M. Castalone, Marck Ferdie V. Eusebio, Adrian A. Borja, and Jan Marion C. Amongo
- Policy Analysis of Mt. Makiling Forest Reserve Watershed Management by Corazon A. Calimag, Antonio P. Carandang, Priscilla C. Dolom, Eulalia B. Alcasid, Jean C. Nicmic, and Marissa C. Miranda
- Comparison of Physico-chemical Qualities of Selected Organically- and Conventionally-grown Highland Vegetables in the Philippines by Dormita R. Del Carmen, Elda B. Esguerra, Grace Ann P. Alcantara, Ryan Anthony O. Lualhati and Gloria D. Masilungan
- Genetic Diversity of Molave (Vitex parviflora Juss.) Populations from Five Seed Sources in the Philippines Detected by RAPD by Aimee G. Cagalawan, Maria Therea A. Delos Reyes, Gracetine D. Magpantay, Aida B. Lapis, and Nenita M. Calinawan
- Selection of Polymorphic SSR Markers for the Assessment of Drought Tolerance in Eggplant by Sarah Jane B. Manaday, Aizelle Yen S. Argete, Michelle Lyka S. Valle, Alma O. Canama, Eureka Teresa M. Ocampo, Rodel G. Maghirang, and Evelyn F. Delfin
- Putative Hybrids of “Carabao” Mango (Mangifera indica L.) Detected by Simple Sequence Repeats (SSR) Markers by Kristoffer Karel S. Rosuman, Carolyn E. Alcasid, Eureka Teresa M. Ocampo, and Lolita DC Valencia
- Development of a PCR Assay for Rapid Meat Authentication by Kathlyn Louise V. Manese and Joy B. Banayo
The paper presentations were as follows:
- Techno-Demo Rubber Production and Management Project: Lessons Learned from the Initial Implementation by Nicasio M. Balahadia, Arturo SA Castillo, Nathaniel C. Bantayan, Leilani A. Castillo, Myranel A. Salvador, Rolly V. Breva, Analyn C. Malayba, Arnold D. Yanoria, and Aldin C. Alegre
- Farmers’ Perception on FSTP as a Strategy in Promoting Interdisciplinary Partnership Towards Development in the Countryside by Romulo G. Davide, Reynaldo A. Comia, Simeona C. Seminiano, Guillerma Z. Valencia, Leonardo P. Faylon, Melecio G. Maghanoy, Wilma S. Velasco, Carla B. Ortega. Anecito M. Anuada, and Marcial S. Buladaco II
- Controlling Crown Rot of Organic Balangon (Musa acuminata AAA group) Banana with Modified Atmosphere Packaging during Simulated Sea Shipment to Japan by Elda B. Esguerra, Dormita R. Del Carmen, Roxanne E. Delos Reyes, and Ryan Anthony O. Lualhati (won Best Paper Award)
- Endophytic Bacteria (EBI) as Inoculant for Improved Yield of Eggplant (Solanum melongena L.) by Virginia M. Padilla, Hener D. Masilungan, and Dean Maynard A. Roxas
- Mapping of Quantitative Trait Loci for Salinity Tolerance at Seedling Stage in Rice Using SNP Markers by Rachel Y. Acil, Junrey C. Amas, Mona Liza J. Baer, Andres Godwin C. Sajise, Rakesh K. Singh and Glenn B. Gregorio
- Greenhouse Screening of In Vitro Cultured Sweet Potato (Ipomea batatas L.) for Drought Tolerance by Michelle Lyka S. Valle, Jonathan C. Descalsota, Kathryn Valen R. Ubaldo, Evelyn F. Delfin, and Olivia P. Damasco
- Preliminary Evaluation of the Performance of Selected Bacterial Isolates/Strains for Plant Growth Promotion on Tomato in Acid Soil by Christian Allen L. Taleon, Mannix S. Pedro and Maria Lourdes Q. Sison.
- Seed Cryopreservation of Philippine Calamansi (Citrofortunella microcarpa Bunge) by Olivia P. Damasco and Luzviminda C. Refuerzo.
- Development of Mini Roller Type Corn Mill for Corn Grit Production by Balbino C. Geronimo
- Capacity Building for Sustainable Ecosystems and Development: 30 Years of FORCE by Robert P. Cereno and Marissa D. Miranda
- Interdisciplinary Partnership in Participatory Broadcasting for Technology Promotion in Selected Farming Communities in Laguna by Matilde V. Maunahan, Nenita L. de Castro, Myrna A. Tenorio, Simeona C. Seminiano, Ruby G. Dela Cruz, Imelda M. Gesmundo, Marife T. Ombico, Lerma L. Moran, Marilyn M. Beltran, Teodora M. de Villa, Severino Flores, Balbino C. Geronimo, and Louie D. Amongo
Aside from the poster and paper presentations, the participants also held their business meeting and the election of officers.
Dr. Matilde V. Maunahan and Ms. Alicia R. Quicoy served as the Masters of Ceremonies during the first and second day respectively, while Ms. Marilyn M. Beltran was the Emcee during the Fellowship night.
Mr. Thaddeus P. Lawas, Dr. Danilo M. Mendoza and Ms. Alicia R. Quicoy also served as moderators during the technical sessions, why Ms. Alma O. Canama, Ms. Nirvana G. Ramos and Ms. Anselma C. Manila were the rapporteurs.