At the 1272nd meeting of the Board of Regents on 25 August 2011, revisions on the coverage, application process, mechanism and public dissemination of the IPA (IPA version 2) were approved. In summary:
- IPA to UP authors:
- All faculty members and REPS of UP who are authors of an international peer-reviewed (Thomson Reuters-listed [formerly ISI], SCI-indexed) publication will receive a pro-rated share of the IPA.
- All project researchers and thesis students who work on UP projects, and indicate UP as their affiliation in the publication, will also receive a pro-rated share of the IPA.
- Each UP author will receive a pro-rated share of the IPA equal to P55,000 divided by the total number of authors.
- IPA to UP units:
- A UP unit (department, institute, center, etc.) indicated as the affiliate institution of authors in an international publication, will receive an IPA apart from the IPA for authors.
- The IPA per publication for UP units is P15,000. Each UP affiliate unit will receive a pro-rated share of the IPA equal to P15,000 multiplied by the number of authors affiliated with the UP unit divided by the total number of authors.
- IPA application process:
- The status of the IPA application and award will be tracked in the OVPAA website.
- Public dissemination of UP's international publications:
- The abstracts of all IPA publications will be posted in the OVPAA website.
- The authors are required to submit a popular article about the publication. The popular article will be featured in the OVPAA website and used as part of UP?s accomplishments for public dissemination.
With the present revision, proper recognition is provided to all researchers in UP and their affiliate units for research that resulted in an international peer-reviewed publication of UP. The aim of the next revision will be to improve the quality and visibility (citations) of UP publications.
Guidelines on the International Publication Award for Books/Chapter of Books (Version 1)
Like the award for ISI journal articles, this award aims to reinforce scholarly publications by faculty and REPS and project the University in the global community of academic institutions.
Regular faculty, including those on sabbatical and secondment to other agencies, regular REPS in active service, clinical faculty and emeritus professors are eligible for the award.
III. Scope of Award
Only books or chapters of books published by recognized international academic book publishers, prestigious university presses and other highly regarded international publishers (e.g., Macmillan, Random House, Blackwell, Routledge, Harcourt, Brace & Co., Elsevier and Garland) shall be covered by the award.
IV. Value of Award
- Sole authors of books or book chapters that meet the standards set in these guidelines shall receive an award of P55,000 per chapter and P110,000 for a book. These amounts may be raised from time to time.
- In the case of co-authorship, the award shall be divided equally among the number of authors, local or foreign. Only UP authors eligible for the award shall receive it, provided the book/chapter is published while they are on active service or before their retirement or resignation from the University.
- The author(s) of the chapter or book must clearly be identified as belonging to UP. If the chapter or book was produced while on sabbatical abroad or as a result of a joint project with foreign scholars, proper acknowledgement must be given the foreign institution that accommodated the faculty or supported the project; the UP address/affiliation of the author(s) must nonetheless be indicated in the publication (either in a footnote, as a byline, or in the book’s author information.
- The chapter or book must fall within the discipline or related field of the author. For example, a work of poetry shall not be entertained if authored by faculty or REPS outside the field of creative writing, unless there is sufficient proof of prior recognition of the author as a serious practitioner in the field of creative writing as determined by the VPAA, upon consultation with known literary figures
- The chapter must be a complete, solid piece of research or creative work. If one’s work (e.g. poem) is included or cited in a chapter or book authored by another, the cited portion shall not qualify for the award. In addition, certain articles (e.g. tribute/testimonial to a known figure, filler between chapters) shall not qualify. The VPAA shall evaluate all articles as to their eligibility upon consultation with experts in the field
- Books or chapters of books published by international publishers must have gone through a rigid blind referee or review process. Evidence that the publication has undergone a review process, such as comments/communication from the reviewer(s) and/or editor, shall be submitted along with the required documents.
- Books published by foundations, government agencies, NGOs, professional societies, international commissions, and non-academic bodies shall not qualify.
- To qualify, a recently updated book must contain new contributions to knowledge. Books published before the start of the award (1999) shall not qualify.
- Authors eligible for the award may receive it as often as they publish. However, a book or chapter may be awarded only once.
- An article for which an IPA was granted shall not qualify again for an IPA if it appears as a chapter in another book or in an ISI-indexed journal. However, if a chapter for which the author was awarded is subsequently developed by the author into a book published by a reputable international publisher, the author may be eligible for an IPA in the book category.
- The author shall submit a copy of the book (to be returned to the author) or the book chapter to the VPAA for evaluation. Copyright pages, table of contents, prefaces, list of authors, evidence of author(s) identification with UP, and other pertinent pages shall accompany the copy of the book/chapter.
- Evidence that the publication has undergone a review process, such as comments/communication from the reviewer(s) and/or editor shall also be submitted. Additional information from the publisher regarding review policies, and other relevant information that will assist the evaluation of the publication may also accompany the application for the award.
- The VPAA shall evaluate all applications for the award and consult specialists whenever necessary, who can provide additional information on the reputation of the publisher and the quality of its publications.
- Should a publication for which a faculty or REPS was awarded later be withdrawn or retracted by the publisher owing to misrepresentation of data or authorship, plagiarism, or some unethical act, the author(s) shall return the full amount of the award, without prejudice to the application of other University sanctions.
One can now apply for the International Publication Award online. To apply, go to http://ovpaa.up.edu.ph/proto2/app/ipa_apply.php